[wp-testers] SQL query to troubleshoot wp_term and related tables

Lloyd Budd lloydomattic at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 19:18:51 GMT 2007

On 10/13/07, Bruce Keener <brucekeener at gmail.com> wrote:
> A few months back I used the 2.3alpha, and then back to a 2.2 version. Then,
> about a month before release of 2.3, I started using it again. I initially
> had some trouble with categories and tags because of being a "re-installer,"
> but got that straightened out a few weeks ago.
>
> Operationally everything seems to be well. However, in using Alex King's
> Articles plugin, I get an Articles page that has some of my posts classified
> under very wrong categories. I look at the posts, and they are indeed
> classified right, but King's plugin bins them incorrectly.
>
> I could lay the blame on his plugin, but it works fine on his site, he says
> it is 2.3 capable, and his plugins are generally highly regarded. Therefore,
> I am suspecting there is something stilled hosed up in some of my wp_term
> related tables.
>
> To fix the category and tag problems a few weeks ago, I manually edited some
> items in the wp_terms table: I deleted some categories that were out of date
> (I had deleted them when I went back to 2.2 but my old version of
> 2.3alphadid not see the deletions and kept them), I changed a couple
> of tags to have
> a '0' designation instead of a '1' (they used to be categories, but I
> deleted the categories a long ago and recently made them tags), and so on.
>
> But, I have not touched wp_term_relationships or any other table (because I
> do not understand the other term tables), and am now wondering if I have
> gotten something 'out of sync.'
>
> So, not being an SQL guru, is there are query I can run that will give me a
> row-by-row listing of a tag/category and everything related to it, so I can
> look for patterns and see if I have hosed something?
>
> Also, I wonder if I am missing a table: I count 11 in the database ... is
> that correct?
>
> Sorry for any lack of clarity. I am at wits end on this. I do not have a
> saved database that I could resort to, except one that is far too old and
> that would be not have dozens of new posts.

One alternate way to investigate this scenario would be to do an
export, and see if importing that to a testing environment resolves
the anonymalies. If it doesn't, it may provide additional clues.

Hope that helps,
--
Lloyd Budd | Digital Entomologist | | Skype:foolswisdom
WordPress.com | WordPress.org | Automattic.com