[wp-testers] Publishing with WP a time-related content

Luc Saint-Elie lstelie at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 09:47:05 GMT 2007

Hello,

A little suggestion, I’m not sure if it’s a core-related one or a
plug in-related one….

My weblog exists in its current form since 2005.
I let all I have written online, so today it’s possible to read
something I wrote back in 2005

This allow people browsing through the site to see the evolution of
things I’m writing about (mainly photography and image related tools
and technologies) .. and the evolution of my relation with them.

So far so good.

My problem is that my weblog is pretty well referenced on Google
(kudos WP pretty permalinks and Google Sitemap plug in)

In the past I’ve written some articles that have even today a pretty
nice success.. but they are  completely out of date.  A camera that
was a very advanced and rather “breakthrough” kind of back in 2005 is
perhaps  today, with today state orf art,  a old fashion poorly
featured one, and the advice I had in 2005 is perhaps in today
situation nearly laughable today.

This is of no problem for those who arrive by the front page and
“read” the site (not a lot of people), but this can be a huge problem
for those who arrive on the site, using a direct link from a search
engine (the biggest part of readers).

The second category of people is fooled by been sent posts that are
out of date with nothing stating they are out of date.

So.. so It would be nice to have a feature (that could be set on and
off for those that are not concerned by this problem) that would
allow a post whose age is more than X months  to have some kind of
settable alert that would say something like “This post is X months
old, the content is perhaps no more pertinent, please use the search
system to see if I wrote something else about this subject since”.

My 2 cents

Luc