[wp-testers] Re: Just downloaded and installed

Christian Höltje docwhat at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 23:30:15 GMT 2007

* katspixels (admin at katspixels.com) [071002 14:15]:
> Hello
>
> Got a question: Is there any better tutorials or examples of
> changing templates and themes setups... So you don't have to use the
> defaults that come with WP.. I know the WP site has some great
> offers but they really don't go into much detail about the widgets,
> tags and functions that were added into this version of WP and I
> would really like to make my own by learning but don't want to use a
> default to learn from because I don't want to be accused of stealing
> ones idea when using as a guide....  I have spent hours trying to
> read back and forth on the changes made to this great blog software
> and well I want to know exactly what I am looking for when something
> goes wrong and I can say hey I have a problem and I can ask it right
> in here..
>
> Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I'd suggest just using the sandbox theme as either an example or
base.  It's very clean and only uses CSS to style it.  You can hack on
that and since it is so clean it's easy to figure out what it's doing.

http://www.plaintxt.org/themes/sandbox/

I wouldn't worry about stealing ideas.  In sandbox, it's given that
the markup will be the same or similar.  It's the CSS that'll show
your creativity.  The exception is verbatim copies but that's easy to
fix and deal with.

Ciao!

--
War doesn't demonstrate who's right... just who's left.

The Doctor What: Need I say more?                http://docwhat.gerf.org/
docwhat *at* gerf *dot* org                                        KF6VNC