[wp-testers] Wordpress Google MD5 hash crack

PkbCS Contact contact at pkbcs.com
Wed Nov 21 17:27:31 GMT 2007

@Dan

IF the hacker's only concern is gaining Administrative access, then yes,
that would be the simplest route. However, things are not always that
cut and dry. For example, during my tenure as Systems Admin for XOOPS, I
dealt with hackers targeting specific users. The hacker(s) would obtain
the MD5 hash of the user, crack it, then log in as that user and send
private messages and post as that user on the forum in an attempt to
create fear. Things are not always cut and dry. There are times when a
hacker may not want to just gain admin access.

@Bull3t,

chmod 444
Read by owner
Read by group
Read by everyone.

If I have command line access to the server and IF the server is not
configured properly (more common than you may think), then I can cat
/path/to/wp-config.php and get the contents of that file from the
command line. That is just one method. If the application has any
vulnerabilities, or is configured improperly by the application's admin
(very common), then there are several other methods a hacker could use
to expose the contents of a file.... shell_exec(); anyone?

Again, things are not always what they seem. You have to look beyond the
surface value and look at all possible scenarios. Hackers don't follow
rules and their reasoning behind their actions does not fit into tidy
little boxes. You have to think outside the box in order to stay ahead
of them.

Just my humble opinion based on my experience. Please take it as such.