[wp-testers] DB_CHARSET and DB_COLLATE in wp-config.php

spencerp spencerp1 at gmail.com
Sat May 5 07:30:30 GMT 2007

Ryan Boren wrote:
> On 5/4/07, Boris Anthony <lists.permutype at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > So, basically, if you are doing a fresh install, don't change the
>> > value of DB_CHARSET.  If you are doing an upgrade, don't add
>> > DB_CHARSET.  These are there for contrary people who like to have
>> > difficult lives.  :-)
>>
>> or people in non-western countries or people setting up non-western
>> language blogs.
>
> Thus a default charset of UTF-8.  utf8_persian_ci collation can be
> used with UTF-8.  Not using UTF-8 is for contrary people.  Changing
> the collation is a different matter.  People should definitely use the
> UTF-8 collation that suits their language.  That is something we
> should document.
>
> Ryan

I'm glad this came up again. I think I asked about this a while back,
but, for me most of the default installs give me a database collation of
"latin1_swedish_ci" I believe it is? Is there a "way" to mass change
this collation in the database to one of the normal default ones?

I tried doing mass "change" of collation by per table or columns and it
never seems to wanna stick LOL! I guess it wouldn't hurt in general to
have "latin1_swedish_ci", but it just bugs the heck out of me that it's
not a default one like "utf8_unicode_ci" or "utf8_general_ci".  A nice
simpler method would be appreciated being that I'm not much of a
database guru lol! :P

--
spencerp
http://spencerp.net