[wp-testers] Wordpress UTC Time

David Herren david at idiomatrix.com
Thu Mar 22 05:12:42 GMT 2007

THis is probably a naive question...

What does wordpress have to do anything with time at all? Why doesn't
it just read the underlying system clock, which already handles the
daylight savings time changes? What am I missing?

On Mar 22, 2007, at 1:01 AM, Jennifer Hodgdon wrote:

> The time of year they change is opposite, but "daylight savings
> time" or "summer time" is still + 1 hour in the southern hemisphere.
>
> Believe me you do not want WP to figure out daylight savings rules
> for the world. It is one of the most complex subjects I have ever
> written software for...
>
> FYI, at least as of a few years ago (when I actually was writing
> time/date/daylight savings software), no country changed by 1/2
> hour for daylight savings. The variation was just in when during
> the year countries changed; also some don't change at all. Some
> time zones are also 1/2 hour off their neighbors (and a few even
> 1/4 hour off) for their base time zone, but when they go on
> daylight savings, they set the clocks ahead by an hour.

/david

--
david herren - shoreham, vt, us na terra solsys orionarm

Candidate for 11th Commandment: "Thou shalt not confuse
text with love."