[wp-testers] Problem with Ping in Future Posts (WP 2.0)

Brian Layman Brian at TheCodeCave.com
Mon Mar 19 18:39:11 GMT 2007

> Hello People,
> If you create a post in WordPress 2.0.x and set it to be published after a
> certain amount of hours, once it is published it does not ping the blog
> directories.

2.0.x IIRC requires a blog visitor to trigger the pinging.  So, there can be
a delay before all of the pings go out.  It's 2.1 that reworks the cron
script so that this is handled better.  I've never looked at the code in
this area, but if I recall the WP-Hacker posts correctly, you'll find that
after you visit your blog (do you have to visit the dash board?) the pings
will go out.  There also was an issue in this area with user rights that was
fixed in a later 2.0.x release.  So that could come into play too.  Long and
short, go to 2.1 and this problem will go away.  I'm sure others recall this
area in more detail, but I thought I'd get a quick reply out to you.