[wp-testers] Aksimet banning?

Travis Snoozy ai2097 at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jun 4 04:20:06 GMT 2007

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 21:50:58 -0600, Andy Holtzmann
<designdroide at gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>
> ok so maybe this needs to go beyond the single user. maybe we need to
> find a way to have a list of IPs that is stored by automattic.
> unfortunetly that means resuorces. aka money. and that is not what I
> would like to see. not b.c I am trying to be a freeloader. but
> because spam is crap. we all hate spam - those some of it cna be fun
> to read and laugh at. and as it has been discussed before. Automattic
> would love to give out more to make bloging easier but for that
> amount of spamming IPs I think basically a whole new server is need
> to run and maintain this.
>
> * sigh* sound like I have to just relie on easy ban. ... I hate doing
> this manually

I think you sort of missed my point (or I didn't make it clearly) --
does the IP banning noticeably decrease the amount of comment spam you
receive? If not (it certainly didn't for me), then what is the benefit
of putting forth the resources to keep doing it?

Assuming that the majority of this spam is generated via botnets (which
I think is a pretty safe bet), you're not banning spammers so much as
innocent schmucks who have had their computer hijacked -- or worse,
innocent schmucks behind the same NAT as some *other* poor schmuck who
has had their computer hijacked.

I'd much prefer to see accessible CAPTCHA support integrated into core
WordPress. While it won't solve the problem, it'll make posting a much
bigger pain in the butt for spammers, and is a reasonable middle-ground
between super-easy posting and requiring a user account.

--
Travis