[wp-testers] Re: wp-testers Digest, Vol 29, Issue 10

Doug Stewart zamoose at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 10:48:23 GMT 2007

On 7/30/07, Mr. Dew <scattered at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm not sure what does this mean, my host reported a hacking attempt.
> I am using 2.2 instead of the latest version but I'll post it just in
> case it applies to the current versions, does it help?
>
> Could someone intepret for me if it is a valid hacking attempt?

1) Do you recognize that IP address?

2) Did you yourself try to edit Hello Dolly at any time recently?

3) Tell your host you'd like to see that hello.php file if you could.
An unmodified hello.php is included in each WP distribution as a
default plugin example.  If it is indeed being altered to send spam,
you may want to forward it on to the WP Security mailing list.

4) Do you have new user registrations enabled?

5) If #4 is yes: Have you seen a recent uptick in the number of users
registering?

--
-Doug

http://literalbarrage.org/blog/