[wp-testers] WP 2.3: Filtering in the tag cloud?

Frederik Kunz wordpress at fredo.org
Tue Jul 17 19:28:55 GMT 2007

Hello,

from what I've read about the new tagging functions in Wordpress 2.3
tags will be more or less independent from post dates and from
categories. I had the idea of combining all this information to find the
right post(s) by e.g. filtering all posts from last year that have a
certain tag, or all posts in category A that have tag X. Database wise
it should be rather simple - just combine the tag search with the
category id and/or the selected time frame. So this seems to be more a
matter of the user interface / theme. One could click a "filter button"
and from that moment on all selections (date / tag(s) / categories) will
reduce the number of posts found and at the same time will change the
tag cloud itself (wp_tag_cloud would need a few new parameters for
this). Once you click the button again and then make a new selection or
once you go to the index page, the filter is reset. This would not only
be an improvement of the tagging function, but also of the interface
itself. With a few clicks the user can see what the big topics (most
used tags) were in the previous month or what tags are related to each
other (as the tag cloud is revised with each click).

What do you guys think about this idea?

Best regards,

Frederik