[wp-testers] Add comments to the posts will drop custom field of the posts?

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Sun Jan 28 00:22:34 GMT 2007

On Jan 26, 2007, at 3:16 PM, Ryan Boren wrote:

> Curious.  The change in behavior isn't intentional, as far as I
> recall.  If anyone can track down what 2.1 is doing to break old
> expectations, let us know and maybe we can address it in 2.1.1.

I installed Jerome's Keywords and experienced the behavior.  The
problem is this:

1. Jerome's Keywords always assumes that it was able to successfully
insert its field into the edit form.
2. If the edit_post hook is called in a circumstance where the plugin
was NOT able to insert its field into the edit form, it assumes that
the user wanted to delete all keywords. Thus, the plugin deletes all
the keywords.
3. Commenting in 2.1 calls wp_update_comment_count(), which runs the
edit_post hook.

While plugin authors are definitely to blame for assuming that
"doesn't exist" is the same as "exists and is empty," we might want
to consider using an alternative hook for announcing that the comment
count has been updated for a post.

http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3699

--
Mark Jaquith