[wp-testers] "Ready for upgrade" script...

Brian Layman Brian at TheCodeCave.com
Fri Jan 12 18:52:01 GMT 2007

Westi concluded:
>They should be fixed by the authors IMHO.

True, but my concern is more with the end user. Even if we got all of the
plugin creators to upgrade all of their plugins for compatibility, there is
no facility to get them out to the users.  Maybe that will come with 2.2,
but for now it doesn't exist.

So, even if there is a fix out there, the blog owner has the question "Will
my site run after I upgrade?"  Right now there is no way to answer that
question.  SOP is to do the upgrade and then go around your blog to see if
you can find where all the dead bodies have fallen.  If we can give them
something that they run to say
"OK, this plugin failed this test.  You should contact the owner before
upgrading."
"OK, that plugin failed that test.  You should contact the owner before
upgrading."

THEN we won't have quite as many failed updates and all of the plugin users
will be bugging the plugin authors and that will carry much more weight than
if the WP Devs push it from the top down... IMHO