[wp-testers] Upgrade your WP sites in 5 Seconds

Brian Layman Brian at TheCodeCave.com
Fri Jan 12 18:11:45 GMT 2007

Brian Layman rambled on about:
> Since 2.0.6 is released, I've posted my upgrade script on my site.  Would
> any of you testers care to take a look at it and let me know if you see
> anything that will be unworkable for a *nix hosted site?
> The url is http://www.TheCodeCave.com/article315
>
> At 323 lines, I'd love an extra dozen pairs of eyes on it and you are the
> only crew with both the bash and WP experience and a familiarity with the
> protective steps to take when testing.  So, this seems the right place to
> go, even more so than to WP-Hackers.

If you were one of the people that tested this Alpha 3 version of the
script, I need to tell you about a bug that was in it.

When it made backup files, it duplicated one level of the directories.  Your
backups ARE still (mostly)valid, but they will have to be tweaked a bit
before you can restore from them.

Here is what I mean. The backup directory would look like this:
~/WPBackups-2007-01-06/Site1/wp-content/wp-content/blah/blah/blah
~/WPBackups-2007-01-06/Site1/wp-admin/wp-admin/blah/blah/blah
~/WPBackups-2007-01-06/Site1/wp-includes/wp-includes/blah/blah/blah

See the doubling?

You might want to download the newest version of the script and run it again
just to create valid backups.  That's probably easier than doing the mv and
rm commands to fix this for all of your backups.

Unless it is to provide requested feed back, this is the last you'll hear
from me on the script here, but you can always download the latest version
at this link: http://www.TheCodeCave.com/EasyWPUpdate

Plus with adding the file backups and database backups and some other fixes,
it is a far better tool.

I want to thank all of you who tested this script for me.  Dozens of you
downloaded it and I wouldn't have the confidence in what it is today, if you
hadn't helped.  Thanks WP-Testers!

OHOHOH! I almost forgot... One neat thing... I realized that with this
script and the relative backups it makes of the files and the db, it should
be really easy to restore the files to a different directory, then restore
the SQLDump to a different database/database name and then change the
wp-config in the new directory to point at that new database.  SOOOOO, in
short, you can easily create throw away blogs that you can use to repeatedly
test upgrading 2.0.x to 2.1.  I'm gonna try this later this weekend.  I'll
let you know if I come up with an instruction set.

Cheers to you all!  Have a great weekend.

Brian Layman
www.TheCodeCave.com

Brian Layman
www.TheCodeCave.com