[wp-testers] "Ready for upgrade" script...

spencerp spencerp1 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 07:36:32 GMT 2007

[Brian wrote>
Maybe we should come up with a list of these.  And things like looking for the $table variables.~~]

I was just thinking about this lastnight, but wasn't really sure on which, or exactly how many wp-includes/ files, the plugins were actually calling.. Cause there are a lot of plugins out there, and the only ones I/we know of, which came through regarding 'wp-includes/ file-renamed-errors' were the following:

*RSS related plugins
*Registration type plugins
*Plugins using thee old "template-functions-links.php" call..

Well, we could list *all* the renamed files anyway though..

If *only* there was a way to mass email *all* of the plugin authors, letting them know of such things.. Because, I'm not really sure if all of them (plugin authors) are seeing "such posts" about these errors, and so forth.. =/

I guess that's partly why I had suggested making a "2.1 beta" specific forum.. So things like this, (and more) could be brought up and discussed.. Because, I'm not really sure how many folks will want to join these lists, and I'm sure they probably don't know how to search the archives for "previously discussed topics" on these matters either..

We'd probably end up getting dupe discussion posts in here, which won't help for jumping jack crap.. ya know? lol! =P Unless of course, someone posted a list of the changed files, let's say, in the DEV blog, and as I noticed.. Matt's working on the Version_2.1 page in the Codex.. Maybe such things could be posted in that 2.1 section there too..

However, most still won't know, or might not look in the Codex for such things.. Also, I'm not sure how many plugin authors are actually on these lists... I don't know though, just wanted to say that.. =)

[Brian wrote>
Then we can write a script that greps for these things.  It would toss trouble lines/files  into a log or html file.  That way, the user can know that they might have problems with those plugins. Doesn't that sound doable?

It wouldn't catch everything of course, but we know what some of the most common issues will be don't we? I would cross post this to hackers, but I think you all would hit the trouble spots first. We could even do queries to look for database problems... Thoughts?~~~~~]

Sounds good to me.. ;) I'm not sure on the "doable" part though, because I'm *not* a professional coder, or coder in general lmao .. ;) But, the idea, suggestion(s), and plan sound's good to me. ;) :)

--
spencerp
http://spencerp.net