[wp-testers] 2.1 Link Cats, Beta Forum, let's minimize some confusion..

spencerp spencerp1 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 23:12:14 GMT 2007

[[ This was originally the " Your mission, should you choose to accept it" dicussion.. ]]

I totally understand how you both feel on this. At first, I even thought "what the hell?!?!?!".. Because it was just plain confusing, because we were so used to the 2.0 version, which had it's own nice and easy "setup"..

Since this topic of discussion was brought up again, maybe we can help "avoid" such confusion by..

a) Having someone start on a 2.1 Section or page, in the Codex itself? With notes on what's different within 2.1 itself. Then..

b) Like Michael B mentioned here already..
http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/wp-forums/2006-December/004154.html

Maybe something can be done with the Beta Forum itself..?

c) Since the 2.0.X betas seem to only last a short period of time, and being that most talks about it are handled through here.. How about deleting all the 2.0.X beta related threads?

OR..

c-1) Locking that "Beta" forum all together..

OR..

d) Delete all the 2.0.X related beta threads, and just change the title of "Beta" to =>  "2.1 Beta"?

With a sticky, or some stickies at the top, containing the "way to download the 2.1 beta", "the way to join the testers list", "the changes", "features", "what's to be expected", "whatever else"..

This way, "word" would be out ahead of time.. So it's not going to be like a HUGE surprise to the (masses) users, which are so used too, and familiar with the 2.0.X versions..?

IMHO, with 2.1-beta here now, which contains a few backend end "modifications",and so forth.. I really think it'd "help" in the long run, to get some "word" out on the 2.1 itself in the forums, and Codex.. giving the "masses" the heads up.

I know there was several blog posts made by the dev(s), coders, and so forth.. But there are still people, that are lost to the wind on everything sigh..  I don't know though.. what's your thoughts on this ?

--
spencerp
http://spencerp.net

[Moshu wrote>
On a fresh local install the Link Categories (Blogroll and any other I've added) appear among the post categories on the Write Post admin panel. And vice-versa: the post categories are listed in the Add Link panel. I was away from the list for a while, so maybe I missed something... ~~~]

[Then Kaf replied with>
Some hopefully useful, get-up-to-date links:

http://boren.nu/archives/2006/03/01/wp-commit-digest-for-february-2006/
http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/wp-trac/2006-February/000355.html
http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/wp-testers/2006-March/002268.html
http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/wp-hackers/2006-July/007185.html~~~~~~]