Firefox view ~source -was- Re: [wp-testers] Re: 2.1 Adding extra <p> tag - bug ?

Boris Anthony lists.permutype at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 03:17:11 GMT 2007

On 6-Jan-07, at 12:03 PM, Matt Mullenweg wrote:

> Lloyd Budd wrote:
>>> As an FYI... Firefox's "view source" isn't a very good thing to rely
>>> on.  I've noticed that it cleans up the source, so it's not a great
>>> indicator of what HTML is being served by your web server.
>> This is very interesting! Can you elaborate on how the source is
>> cleaned up?
>
> I've noticed when I do "view selection source" it'll show rendered
> stuff that has been modified, where "view source" is usually just
> the content of the page.

Just to pipe in here,
I am not sure which browser(s)/extensions do which but there are
instances where "view-source" will show you the html as served by the
webserver, and some where it will show you the source of what it has
rendered post-DOM manipulations (JS, DHTML, AJAX et al).

Yeah I know this would be more helpful if I could point which do what
but there you go. ;)

B.