[wp-testers] Upgrade your WP sites in 5 Seconds

Brian Layman Brian at TheCodeCave.com
Fri Jan 5 17:17:16 GMT 2007

Since 2.0.6 is released, I've posted my upgrade script on my site.  Would
any of you testers care to take a look at it and let me know if you see
anything that will be unworkable for a *nix hosted site?

The url is http://www.TheCodeCave.com/article315

At 323 lines, I'd love an extra dozen pairs of eyes on it and you are the
only crew with both the bash and WP experience and a familiarity with the
protective steps to take when testing.  So, this seems the right place to
go, even more so than to WP-Hackers.

I'd like to write a webpage that can deliver the script with the customized
headers on it, but I'm not going to do that until I am certain the concepts
are proved safe.

Here's a summary of the new features over the 35 second version:

Customizable options at the top of the script
Works for unlimited numbers of blogs with just updating the header
Optionally performs Web update steps as well
Optionally performs backups of all WP related files
DISABLED: Performs a Database Backup
Backups are to a directory of your choosing suffixed with "today's" date
Can now upgrade blogs in a WordPress directory or any other
Respects the tmp directory on your server
Can be modified to perform nightly refresh of all blogs from a local tarball

Can be customized to retrieve beta releases
Can be customized to retrieve from the WP Archive site
Brian Layman
www.TheCodeCave.com