[wp-testers] comment deletion

spencerp spencerp1 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 06:14:46 GMT 2007

Jennifer Hodgdon wrote:
> Adi Rabinovich wrote:
>
>> I got the beta installed on my new site, econoville.com, and only got
>> one or two basic plugins installed.
>>
>> Everything seemed fine, until I tried to Delete Comment, the default
>> one that comes with WordPress install.
>>
>> Got the following error:
>> WordPress database error: [Table 'adir1_econ.wp_categories' doesn't
>> exist]
>> SELECT c.cat_ID AS ID, MAX(p.post_modified) AS last_mod FROM
>> `wp_categories` c, `wp_post2cat` pc, `wp_posts` p WHERE
>> pc.category_id = c.cat_ID AND p.ID = pc.post_id AND p.post_status =
>> 'publish' AND p.post_type='post' GROUP BY c.cat_id
>
> I just tried this on my installation of Bleeding Edge From Last Night
> (should be fairly close to the Beta zip file). I went to the Comments
> screen in the admin screens, and clicked on one of the Delete links
> next to a comment. It deleted without any error.
>
> I also looked in the WordPress source code, and there is no query like
> that being generated that I could see (I searched for the string
> "post2cat", and although the string appears in several places, the
> only place it was in queries was in the upgrade.php file).
>
> So you might want to check your plugins after all.
>     --Jennifer

Just as assumed, everything was made for the old original database
setup. And plugins on 2.3 is going to have alot of hiccups and errors
from various plugins. A post about 2.3, plugins on 2.3, tag functions,
and etc etc should be made LOUD AND CLEAR, before the actual release
date comes near. And that 2.3 is like walking on egg shells as well. =P

Of course, a post that's not intended to scare people. But just warning
them that 2.3 is different in various ways. You can only add so much
"back compatibility" to ensure fewer issues and problems, but you can't
run from them ALL though. And I can see it now, Donny doesn't disable
his plugins first before upgrading from 2.2 to 2.3, and he gets massive
database errors or whatever. Then "he" doesn't disable those plugins
asap because "he" doesn't know which error is from which plugin and
heads to the support forums asking for answers.

Or, if "he" does know which ones to shut off, "he" won't know how to fix
them himself (since he might attempt fixing them himself) because he's
impatient and wants his plugins working asap. Or, such plugins don't get
fixed by the plugin author fast enough, nor makes it on the "2.3
Compatible Plugin list" quick enough... and people are running around
like chickens with their heads cut off, trying to ensure Donny his
plugins will be fixed soon and to be patient...

Things to keep in mind of course... (For a possible forewarning post
regarding 2.3, before release. And in general.)

1.) Database status addition of "pending" was added to the database. The
possibility of Post related plugins might spit errors, because that
status isn't accounted for in the plugin file coding itself.

2.) General plugins might spit errors, because they're expecting some of
the old original database table schema's that were dropped from 2.3,
which were in earlier branches prior to 2.3.

3.) Tag functionality, tag cloud functions, and stuff. So theme authors
can update their themes to account for the upcoming 2.3 tags.

4.) Not just the above stuff, but also any files that might have been
renamed, relocated, and of course the new folder structure in the
wp-admin/ folder, and where ever else as well. Put it out there, so at
least most plugin authors will see the new folder structure as well as
any "file renaming". So they know in advanced what to change in their
plugin files (Code wise).

5.) Maybe explain a little bit about the new status "pending", and what
it does. Or, what it's function is, or it's purpose.

6.) The whole process of "How-To" go from UTW tags to the WP tags, since
that will be one of the main reasons most will upgrade to 2.3. They
might see the importers in the wp-admin/import section, but maybe won't
know the steps for doing it correctly? Never know.  =P

7.) And as Ryan said previously. "The big schema change is the dropping
of the categories, post2cat, and link2cat changes in favor of the new
terms, term_taxonomy, and term_relationship tables. Any plugin that
queries against the old table will break horribly. "

I'm sure there's more to keep in mind, but I'm just saying some of these
are going to be the bigger things to address, and get out on the table
now. I know you made a brief post about the beta release and etc. But
not everyone is going to jump on the "testing wagon". Most will just
see... "WordPress 2.3 is now released". Grab it, install it/upgrade to
it, and realize... WOW! I'm having major issues with this 2.3! HELP!!

I'm not saying that no one will make a forewarning post before it's
release. I'm just maybe suggesting one NOW, or SOON. Rather than later.
Giving the general audience the heads-up on 2.3. To "us" it's not a big
deal, but to the noobs it could or would be...? Or, maybe I'm just being
overly paranoid too, so I'll shut up about this now... =P

Anyway, I'll start testing plugins and such, and start updating the 2.3
Plugin Compatibility list. =D

--
spencerp
http://spencerp.net