[wp-testers] 2.3 Nightly - Plugin Compatibility

Travis Snoozy ai2097 at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Aug 30 04:50:29 GMT 2007

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 22:43:10 -0400, spencerp <spencerp1 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Ryan Boren wrote:
> > On 8/28/07, spencerp <spencerp1 at gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>
> > The only other schema change is the addition of "pending" to the
> > post_status enum.  That should be very low impact.
> >

> Yeah, I agree with you there. That's a whole new addition to the
> database. I wouldn't expect any plugins to be affected by that.
> However, I'm not sure about the plugins regarding "posts" though.
> Example: Adhesive, or Sticky Post plugins, or any other post related
> plugins? Just throwing this out there, but, IF one of the post
> related plugins spits an error, it'd probably be regarding the
> "unaccounted for" status "pending"..? I'm guessing most plugins were
> created, with the basic ones, and when a new status is added it might
> hiccup some where... Again, this is just guessing or assuming the
> possibilities of database error spitting.

<snip>

IMHO, the change is more "subtle and insidious" than "low impact" ;).
Adding values to enums means hitting "default" in any switch statements
for those enums, and that either leads to (a) incorrect behavior
(e.g., default == everything else == published), (b) an error (i.e.,
default == unknown == WTF? Error!), or (c) incorrect behavior that
looks correct (e.g., default == everything else == unpublished; correct
in the case of "pending").

I can guarantee that this will be a problem for In Series, at least.

--
Travis