[wp-testers] Permalinks, Plugins, and Mod Rewrite

Dan Milward dan at instinct.co.nz
Wed Aug 15 23:42:44 GMT 2007

I have a question about how to best utilize permalinks and plugins
together. I was reading through Matt's blog about optimization and and I
know that nobody wants a plugin or a widget that might slow down a site
too much. Thus...

# 1)  If I make a plugin that will ultimately generate thousands of
unique items is it acceptable to create re-write rules in the plugin
database for each item - or would this slow the given site down too much.

This would mean that our plugin creates a permalink structure like:
http://site.com/podcast/pod-cast-name

as opposed to  http://site.com/podcast/?podcast_id=8

# 2)  One option would be to create a slighter more convoluted permalink
structure for instance:
http://site.com/podcast-page/pod/pod-cast-name

/pod/ would be there so that we can avoid having to create re-write
rules for each item and to avoid conflicts with subpages of the podcast
page.

BUT I personally prefer the shorter permalink structures like in #1 - it
seems more search engine & more human friendly.

But then on the other hand I'm being told that #1 would potentially slow
down any site with too many pod casts and cause conflicts with subpages
of the podcast page, possibly making them impossible to access. I'm
using pod casts as an example - I have no intention of making a pod cast
plugin :-P

Is there a good way to achieve #1. Is it true that things would slow
down too much or is that just paranoia.

It is one thing for WordPress to use friendly URLs but what about
plugins. This should be easy but its not. Whatever I work out I will add
to the docs so that nobody need ever think about these types of serious
hard to answer questions ever again

Ciao,

Dan