[wp-testers] getting a tag name w/o the loop

Paul Stamatiou p at pstam.com
Thu Aug 9 08:56:08 GMT 2007

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately single_cat_tag() doesn't output
anything for me. As for the tag cloud, I had converted all of my
categories to tags (I wont run categories anymore) and just wanted to
exclude the 'uncategorized' tag from the cloud. The uncategorized tag
also 404s so I have no idea what is even uncategorized anymore.

This is the top of my theloop.php, fairly similar to the code you posted:

<?php if(have_posts()){
	$post = $posts[0];
	if(!is_single() && !is_home() or is_paged()){?>
		<h2>

		<?php if (is_tag()) { ?>
		Posts tagged '<?php single_cat_title(); ?>'

		<?php } elseif (is_day()) { ?>
		Archive for <?php the_time('F jS, Y'); ?>

On 8/9/07, DD32 <wordpress at dd32.id.au> wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 17:59:40 +1000, Paul Stamatiou <p at pstam.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi, I just co'd trunk, converted my categories to tags and am
> > converting my theme to support tags. I'm trying to find out how to get
> > a tag name without it being in the loop.
> >
> > For example, on a page like http://paulstamatiou.com/tags/news/, I
> > would have "posts in the <tagname> tag". I have gone through
> > category-template.php and tried several tag functions without luck. Is
> > this possible without needing to be in the loop. Basically I'm trying
> > to find a replacement for what I used to use:
> >
> >  if (is_category()) { ?>
> > Posts in the '<?php echo single_cat_title(); ?>' category
>
> You'd still use that, Sounds stupid, but seems thats the way its done,
>  From the default theme: archive.php
>   <?php /* If this is a category archive */ if (is_category()) { ?>
>         <h2 class="pagetitle">Archive for the &#8216;<?php single_cat_title();
> ?>&#8217; Category</h2>
>    <?php /* If this is a tag archive */ } elseif( is_tag() ) { ?>
>         <h2 class="pagetitle">Posts Tagged &#8216;<?php single_cat_title();
> ?>&#8217;</h2>
>
> > Also, slightly unrelated, I can't seem to get
> > wp_tag_cloud('exclude=uncategorized') to exclude 'uncategorized'.
>
> I think it excludes by ID rather than by name.., But looking at it, it
> doesnt seem it actually references to exclude anywhere anyway, So you cant
> exclude it.
> What were you hoping to do here? Exclude the tag 'uncategorized' from
> showing up? excluding tags on posts in the category 'uncategorized'?
> --

Paul Stamatiou
Computational Media
Georgia Tech in Atlanta, GA