[wp-testers] About DB Backup

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Mon Sep 25 22:07:22 GMT 2006

Robert Deaton wrote:
> I think its a good case for leaving it in 2.1 and indefinitely. Like I
> said before, even if we put a giant glaring message saying "We now
> recommend the use of the XML export." Or, although this would never
> happen, we could remove it from future versions and supply a seperate
> upgrade package which will always include the latest version of the
> plugin for just this purpose.

For a major release we can note the change in the announcement post.
We've done in the past when removing plugins and it seems to have worked
well. I remember a huge ruckus when Markdown/Textile was removed.

Hopefully by that point someone will have picked development back up on
the abandoned plugin or we can point to a feature-equivalent alternative
for creating SQL dumps. (Though I suppose if not, we can just point
people to phpMyAdmin.)

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://automattic.com | http://akismet.com