[wp-testers] i18n strings disambiguation

Nikolay Bachiyski nbachiyski at developer.bg
Sun Oct 22 16:46:09 GMT 2006

Ryan Boren ??????:
> Mark Jaquith wrote:
>> On Oct 12, 2006, at 6:12 AM, Stefano wrote:
>>
>>> IN the new 2.1 the RTE and the quicktags editor are all i one and you
>>> can switch from one to another using a coupl of tabs.
>>>
>>> The RTE tab is named Editor, but this string is used for a role too,
>>> so the translation for both is unique, in Italian but i suppose in
>>> other languages the role is translated in a different way than the
>>> RTE's name.
>>>
>>> How to solve this? Giving to the tab another name i think cause the
>>> translation for editor role is already coded into the Database for old
>>> installation.
>>
>> Couldn't we use an HTML comment to differentiate the two?
>>
>> _e('Editor<!--Tab-->');
>
> Maybe use a custom tag that is stripped by __() and _e().  Translators
> can leave the tag in the translated text or omit it.
>
> _e('Editor<wp:i18n_context>Tab</wp:i18n_context>');

In my opinion the description should mark the whole string, not just a
part of it. Thus we both won't need long closing tag and also the
description  won't be placed in the middle of a long string and
confusing the translators. I suggest something like:

'<i18n:richtext>Editor' or '<i18n:Rich Text>Editor' or
'<desc:Rich Text>Editor' or something like that...

...or even better (stolen from gnome) just: 'Rich Text|Editor'

I checked - there are no msgid's containing | in wordpress.pot. Also we
could supply a _d(description, msgid) function to easily enter i18n-ed
string with their description.

As soon as we decide which way we shall go, you have a patch from me :)

Happy (testing|hacking),
Nikolay.

P.S. I am also sending this reply to wp-polyglots.