[wp-testers] i18n issue

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Fri Oct 13 05:48:06 GMT 2006

Lloyd D Budd wrote:
> On 10/12/06, Ryan Boren <ryan at boren.nu> wrote:
>> Mark Jaquith wrote:
>> > Couldn't we use an HTML comment to differentiate the two?
>> >
>> > _e('Editor<!--Tab-->');
>>
>> Maybe use a custom tag that is stripped by __() and _e().  Translators
>> can leave the tag in the translated text or omit it.
>>
>> _e('Editor<wp:i18n_context>Tab</wp:i18n_context>');
>
> That seems harder to read, and I don't see a significant benefit. I
> suggest putting it the the polyglots.

It can be used in any context rather than just in a place where a HTML
comment would be hidden.  I don't think we can strip HTML comments from
translated strings because there might be one our two places where
comments are included in strings marked for translation.  That's
probably not a big deal though.  So, either way would probably be fine.

Ryan