[wp-testers] UTF-8 problem

Rimas Abromavičius Chionsas at ktug.lt
Sun Nov 26 11:41:34 GMT 2006

Hello,

I'm using WP2.1alpha3 and I'm having problems with some
specific character display (while writing in Lithuanian,
particularly character č [U+010D - latin c with caron]).
The problem lies in WP using latin1 connection for chatting
with DB. I don't notice this problem with WP2.05 somehow
and that is quite strange, because it should exhibit the
exact same behavior, as I don't see any 'set names utf8' there ;)

When I put:
$this->query('SET NAMES UTF8');
in line 57 of wp-includes/wp-db.php, it fixes the problem
because the DB connection then uses UTF-8 not just for storing,
but also for transferring the data. I'm not a MySQL nor PHP
guru, but I suppose this is a bug and should be fixed using
'set names' or some other method.

--
</Chionsas>