[wp-testers] WP installation infrastructure statistics?

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Fri Mar 17 04:11:59 GMT 2006

lloyd at foolswisdom.com wrote:
> Are users mostly use:

These are just my estimations, no hard numbers.

> What Operating System?

I think most WP installations are hosted on Linux servers, but Windows
is most commonly used for administering and browsing WP blogs from the
desktop.

> What web server?

Apache, especially among those on this list and the hackers list.  We
get very little feedback from IIS users until after release.

> What version of PHP do most users have?

Runs the gambit from 4.1 to the latest greatest.  I think most are 4.3
or 4.4.  4.1 is becoming increasingly scarce in the wild, but we still
get bug reports from 4.1 users.

> What version of MySQL?

Most are on 4.0.x, I reckon.

> Other common details of their configuration?
>
> Are there newer versions (different web server?) that are likely to be
> adopted in a significant manner this year?

We need better testing against the latest MySQL version.

We need better IIS testing, all versions.

Lighttpd and litespeed would be good servers to support.  We already
play fairly nicely with litespeed since wp.com uses it.

Ryan