[wp-testers] Apostrophe causes Edit Pages to break in IE

Ryan Scheuermann ryan at concept64.com
Tue Mar 14 22:27:10 GMT 2006

Hey all,

Just found this bug, couldn't find anything in Trac referencing it, and
I wanted to be sure it wasn't just my implementation causing the
problem.  I'm running a pretty-hacked version of 2.0.1.

When browsing the Edit Pages screen in IE6, if your page title has an
apostrophe, you get a Javascript error popup.  And if you click Delete,
it doesn't popup the verification dialog window.  It just deletes the
page, no questions asked.

Here's what's happening:  In "admin-functions.php", the "page_rows"
function is calling "wp_specialchars" on the page title which is
replacing the apostrophe with an #039.  Apparently, in IE, it thinks
that is an actual apostrophe meant to be used in the Javascript code.
So it breaks the whole thing.

I just wrapped the "wp_specialchars" call with another "str_replace" to
replace the #039 with an escaped single quote, because I wasn't sure if
changing "wp_specialchars" directly would affect anything else.

Please verify and let me know if I should add a ticket to Trac.  Thanks!

Ryan Scheuermann

--
----
Concept 64, Inc. | Phone: 610.349.0703 | Web: www.concept64.com