[wp-testers] Final Beta Packages

Brian Layman Brian at TheCodeCave.com
Fri Jul 28 18:15:47 GMT 2006

There were three things I wanted to look into for the 2.0.4 beyond just
getting a chance to try to exploit it.  With 2.0.3, I was getting an error
on manage post screens.  I had a post title with the ASCII for a quote in
it.  That, for some reason, caused the onclick JavaScript to blow up
expecting a ).  I guess it was interpreting the ASCII code for a real quote
and the tune-up plugin didn't handle it much better.  With the plug in
installed, I could put a real quote in the title again, but the manage page
still had the script error.  2.0.4 seems to handle this correctly.  I
haven't been able to duplicate this since the upgrade.

The next thing was an error, in version 2.0.4, that I could not isolate it
last night.  I had a post with links to just under 30 other blog articles.
Until the pings were actually processed, which seems to have been done
correctly, every save action generated an error  at some irrationally high
character position, like line 89 character 18,410.  I can reproduce this
even now by copying the contents of that post into a new post and hitting
save or by navigating off that page.  In ie's postdata, the content
parameter is 108,000 characters long.  The postdata itself is a full 11430
characters. So compared to that 18410 isn't that far into the data if you
look at it that way.  The error is in post.php Object expected, code 0
character 18410.  The published version of that post doesn't get the error
and neither do other posts without the links to other blogs.

Finally, I am also getting a script error on many of the WP_Admin pages.  I
tracked it down to wp_includes/fat.js.  If I eliminate this include, the
error goes away.  The error is on line 24 char 3 "'null' is null or not an
object".

My first response is..."Well YEAH, and your point is...?".

Line 24 is this:
				if (o.id)
Fat.fade_element(o.id,null,null,"#"+r[1]);

I'm thinkin that this error and the last COULD be the same thing, I'm not
sure.  As far as it goes this COULD an incompatibility with my theme.  But I
did not have this error prior to installing 2.0.4 to the best of my
knowledge.  I'm fairly certain of that because I fixed another syntax error
by updating a plugin.  That way I knew the admin page was clean before the
upgrade.  I've been using the import page as a nice clean page to test with.

I'll have to test more later.  This error occurs in both ie6 and 7.  To
reproduce it, make sure you turn on your script error popup or all you'll
see is a little error icon on your browser status bar. That's easy to do in
Maxthon, I'm not sure of the default IE interface for it off hand.  Anyway,
that little icon is easy to miss and may be why no one has reported it yet.

Anyway, I'm trying to think of a way to debug this. www.axentric.com is down
and I can't find anything elsewhere on the web newer than 1.0RC1 for Fat.js.

Anyway, that's what I've got right now for 2.0.4.  Maybe it's just my blog,
I don't know....