#2976 test results (was RE: [wp-testers] Anything specific?)

Brian Layman Brian at TheCodeCave.com
Fri Jul 28 05:38:51 GMT 2006

TEST1
Running on Beta2, I modified my post meta section to call
the_author_posts_link() which calls get_author_link(0, $authordata->ID,
$authordata->user_nicename).  That worked fine.

TEST2
I then hard coded it with the following:
echo '<a href="' . get_author_link(0, $authordata->ID) . '" title="'
. sprintf(__("Posts by %s"), wp_specialchars(the_author($idmode,
false))) . '">' .
the_author($idmode, false) . '</a>';
Failed - it blew up with a "Warning: Missing argument 3 for
get_author_link()".

TEST3
I then called it like this:
echo '<a href="' . get_author_link(0, $authordata->ID, "") . '" title="'
. sprintf(__("Posts by %s"), wp_specialchars(the_author($idmode,
false))) . '">' .
the_author($idmode, false) . '</a>';
Failed - it looked fine but the link took me to a 404.

I then applied your change (rev 4054) and retested

TEST1: Worked fine.  No change.
TEST2: Failed - Blew up again with 3rd param missing error.  No change.
TEST3: Success! - This time it all worked fine - exactly as TEST1.  The
ticket is fixed as described.

I then made my own change to the procedure. I changed the function
header from:
function get_author_link($echo = false, $author_id, $author_nicename)
To:
function get_author_link($echo = false, $author_id, $author_nicename='')

With this additional change, TEST2 succeeds as well and functions just
like TEST1.  That means the nice name parameter could be specified only
when is already known or it needs to be overridden.