[wp-testers] Wordpress 2.0.4

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Thu Jul 27 17:19:05 GMT 2006

On 27 Jul 2006, at 17:51, Brian Layman wrote:

>> http://wordpress.org/beta/wordpress-2.0.4-beta-2.zip
>
> Are we certain that the security changes in 2.0.3 and now 4 don't
> warrant
> calling this next release WordPress 2.1?

Yes - calling it 2.1 implies that it contains some wizzy new features

> I know it will mess with hacker and tester minds alike, but I'm still
> concerned about the slow adoption rate of 2.0.3.  Going from 2.0.2
> to 2.0.3
> sure doesn't sound critical, but it was huge.
>
> No one should be running an unmodified WP 2.0.2 or earlier or
> earlier on
> their site.
>
> A 2.0.2 to 2.0.3 or 2.0.4 version change, does not adequately
> express that
> level of urgency.  Though I didn't say it here, I was surprised
> when the
> last release went out labeled as 2.0.3.
>
> The current plugin security issues doesn't, in my mind warrant the
> change to
> 2.1 on its own, but if you look at the combined affect of these
> last two
> releases, that surely warrants a point release.

Calling it 2.1 is not going to make more people upgrade.

If anything it could put people off because it implies bigger changes
and hence more likelyhood that a plugin they are using breaks.

We need to educate the users to upgrade and I need to get round to
redoing the work on the upgrade notification messages to integrate
the functionality provided by my plugin [1] into the core WordPress
code in time for 2.1 so that people get clear upgrade is need
messages in the future.

[1] http://blog.ftwr.co.uk/wordpress/wp-version-check/

westi
--