[wp-testers] Upload Directory Problem (Creating Directories)

Andy Skelton skeltoac at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 21:08:01 GMT 2006

On 1/2/06, Bryan Veloso <bryan at avalonstar.com> wrote:
> Okay, I realize this may be a WP error or an error with my host, but I
> wanted to ask the question to make sure. I'm having a lot of trouble when it
> comes to WP making directories, it looks like it sets the owner to apache
> and I have to run a CHOWN to get it to work. Otherwise I get this error in
> which WP asks me if my directories are writable (they are, but WP can't
> access it). Anybody know what my problem is?

Sounds similar to issues I've had. There are many solutions! The key
is to understand the permissions of the user that runs the script. If
it's the wrong user, or missing the right group assignment, or if PHP
is in Safe Mode and group checking is off, you'll have problems.

On my server, I fixed it by adding groups to the web server's user
(apache) and the user that owns the scripts, and relaxing PHP's
permission checking so it would check the group.

Best of luck!

Andy