[wp-testers] Attachment bug?

Dougal Campbell dougal at gunters.org
Thu Feb 16 19:39:41 GMT 2006

Doug Stewart wrote:
> Dougal Campbell wrote:
>> I've been trying to track down a problem on my site[1]. At first, I
>> was convinced that the root issue must be in my server environment.
>> But after some digging, I think it might be in the WP core code. In
>> particular, something to do with post attachments.
>> [...]
>
> I've routinely seen this behavior but haven't bothered to look into it.
> It's a big annoyance but the posts seem to go through without a hitch,
> it's just the return to the admin interface that's h0rked.

If I'm right about the problem being in the core, then SQL errors when
posting is a bug, and it needs to be fixed. It doesn't matter that the
post goes through. Novice users seeing this will (rightly) believe that
WordPress is broken.

Heck, I'm an experienced user, and I was looking all over my server
trying to track this down. I had been searching through all kinds of PHP
and MySQL documents, looking for similar reports. I didn't spot the real
problem until I started logging every database query, and noticed that
two updates occurred for a single save of my draft. And even then, it
took some more experimentation and digging to realize that it was the
presence of the attachment link that triggered it. I've wasted nearly a
week on this because it's been bugging me so much.

That's why I want to finish tracking this down and squash it. I've got a
patch, but I need somebody else to verify that the problem exists on
other systems before I document all of this on Trac.

--
Dougal Campbell <dougal at gunters.org>
http://dougal.gunters.org/