[wp-testers] A few comments about 1.6

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 20:23:39 GMT 2005

1. I don't think WP's appeal was ever meant to be a content management
system, although it is sure moving to that way. Pages could use a
better listing system, but currently the code required to do some of
the crazily specific tasks hasn't been written.

2 and 3. I agree, I think a lot of things that are being added could
be considered bloat, but that's just me

On 10/31/05, david hodgkins <hodgkins at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've spent some time playing with 1.6 on my local machine and I have a few
> comments/questions regarding it.
>
> 1. Page Lists: Currently (to the best of my knowledge) if you have a ground
> of pages with a specific template, you can list only those pages with the
> exclude function.  While this can work for a lot of people, it severely
> limits wp's appeal as a "content management system."  Namely, if I have a
> page called "Famous Cats" as id=5 and subpages called "Garfield," "Tom," and
> "Moris" I can display only those in the sidebar template.  If I then make a
> page called "Famous Dogs" as id=25 with subpages, I can make a template and
> have only those pages.  If I make a page called "Famous Mice,"  I can do the
> same thing, but have to edit the other templates to exclude that set of
> pages.
>
> So, instead of an exclude call, how about an "include only" call?
>
> 2. Import:  Currently in the alpha version, the Import option is a main menu
> item.  Since Import is usually used only once or twice, wouldn't it be
> better suited as a sub-menu item in Options or Manage?
>
> 3. This is just a nitpick of mine, but why is the theme option for changing
> the Default header included as core?  It seems to me that it doesn't add any
> core functions and that's it's just bloat.  Cool bloat, but bloat
> nonetheless.  Is this the beginning of WP putting in code just for vanity's
> sake?  (That's the path to the dark side, you know :)
>
> 4. How can I change the "Howdy" greeting?  I'd rather have it say "How Y'all
> Doin'?" :)
>
> silverwing
> http://misguidedthoughts.com

--Robert Deaton