[wp-testers] A few comments about 1.6

david hodgkins hodgkins at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 18:48:06 GMT 2005

I've spent some time playing with 1.6 on my local machine and I have a few
comments/questions regarding it.

1. Page Lists: Currently (to the best of my knowledge) if you have a ground
of pages with a specific template, you can list only those pages with the
exclude function. While this can work for a lot of people, it severely
limits wp's appeal as a "content management system." Namely, if I have a
page called "Famous Cats" as id=5 and subpages called "Garfield," "Tom," and
"Moris" I can display only those in the sidebar template. If I then make a
page called "Famous Dogs" as id=25 with subpages, I can make a template and
have only those pages. If I make a page called "Famous Mice," I can do the
same thing, but have to edit the other templates to exclude that set of
pages.

So, instead of an exclude call, how about an "include only" call?

2. Import: Currently in the alpha version, the Import option is a main menu
item. Since Import is usually used only once or twice, wouldn't it be better
suited as a sub-menu item in Options or Manage?

3. This is just a nitpick of mine, but why is the theme option for changing
the Default header included as core? It seems to me that it doesn't add any
core functions and that's it's just bloat. Cool bloat, but bloat
nonetheless. Is this the beginning of WP putting in code just for vanity's
sake? (That's the path to the dark side, you know :)

4. How can I change the "Howdy" greeting? I'd rather have it say "How Y'all
Doin'?" :)

silverwing
http://misguidedthoughts.com