[wp-testers] User Level revisited (after a year)

Aaron Brazell aaron at technosailor.com
Wed Nov 30 23:15:10 GMT 2005

Well then the semantics of language get in the way because an
"Administrator" is the top dog in almost any hierarchy.  If we shouldn't
view these things in terms of hierarchy, then perhaps the titles have to be
changed.

Managing Editor
Content Editor
Copy Editor
etc.

Playing devils' advocate as usual.

On 11/30/05, Rick Beckman <rick.beckman at gmail.com> wrote:

> It isn't considered a "higher role"; all the roles are equal in terms of
> authority, but they are given different things to do.
>
> To compare, think of the American government, which is checked and
> balanced by three different branches: judicial, legislative, and executive.
> These branches are more or less equal, but they all have different
> functions.
>
> I think I'm understanding the Roles system properly, anyway.
>
> --
> Rick Beckman
> http://rick.beckman-ministries.com/
>
> On 11/30/05, Amit Gupta <wp at igeek.info> wrote:
>
> > Ryan Boren <ryan at boren.nu> wrote:
> > |  http://trac.wordpress.org/changeset/3243
> > |
> > |  By popular demand.
> >
> > but what I'm confused about is, why let 'Editor' edit posts belonging to
> > that
> > of 'Administrator'? As I look at it, I think that the older system of
> > having
> > userlevels where a user was able edit only his posts & those belonging
> > users on a lower level than himself. That way the admins can stay at
> > levels
> > 8-9 etc. & have some editor at level 6-7 who can edit posts of all
> > authors
> > which could've been kept below level 5.
> >
> > would anyone shed some light on this? because as it is currently, why
> > should
> > the 'Editor' be able to edit posts of 'Administrator' which is a higher
> > role than
> > himself.

Aaron Brazell
Editor/Writer