[wp-testers] User Level revisited (after a year)

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Wed Nov 30 00:25:35 GMT 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 18:19 -0500, Owen Winkler wrote:
> Abhay Kumar wrote:
> > I think the fact that, even in the current user system, Authors are
> > not able to edit their own posts is really a sign that the system
> > needs to be looked at.
>
> This issue isn't intrinsic to the capabilities system, but a function of
> how the capabilities are checked during the editing process.  I suggest
> filing a bug that explains the issue more thoroughly, and even if you
> are not up to the task, someone else can write a patch.

Authors cannot edit published posts.  Once they publish, their work
leaves their hands.  If you want Authors to be able to edit published
posts, promote them to Editors.

Anyone interested in the workflow should take a look at the current
mapping of capabilities to roles and come back with suggestions.  The
mappings are in upgrade-schema.php (scroll to populate_roles() at the
end).

Ryan