[wp-testers] User Level revisited (after a year)

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Tue Nov 29 23:14:46 GMT 2005

Moshu wrote:
>>From:  Owen Winkler
>

>>It is currently not possible to create a user that can edit
>>only certain
>>other users' posts.
>>
>>In the new capabilities system, there is no heirarchy.
>

> That sucks :)
> About one year ago I proposed a user level system:
> http://wordpress.org/support/topic/10090#post-81586
> based on "real life" requests.
> I was assured by one developer that it is a "fairly typical workflow"
> http://wordpress.org/support/topic/13995
>
> But now seeing this discussion it seems there is still a lack of
> understanding on the decision making level as to what a _real_ User
> Level system would be.
>
> As it stands now:
> Contributor - can write a draft (not publish)
> Author - can write and publish his own posts, but CANNOT edit them
> Editor - can write, publish (even Contributor's draft) and edit
> everything, including the admin's post! <== this one is crazy ;)

It's not so crazy when you change your mindset to start thinking of
roles instead of levels.  The "Administrator" role simply has the
additional capabilities required to administer the system - there is no
implication of superior/protected writing power.

The primary difference between the system in WP2.0 and the one you're
suggeting is that using the current role system, it's possible to
implement your suggested system using a plugin.  While the reverse may
be true, it adds a lot of potentially unneccesary and certainly tricky
level-handling issues to the core.

If you don't like the system as-implemented, it should be very easy to
write a plugin that overrides the built-in behavior.

Owen