[wp-testers] User Level on WP 2.0 RC. 1

Abhay Kumar aranis at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 19:14:23 GMT 2005

> Sorry, but I found your message and the leaving of many many other lines
> hilarious :)
There's always something to be said about practicing what one preaches.
Now onto the actual content of this thread

> I was try the author level to the user and the user only can posting, but user can't edit or delete their own post
There are five roles defined in the distributed package.
Administrator, Editor, Author, Contributor and Subscriber. There are
classes available in ./wp-includes/capabilities.php so that one can
presumably add customized roles. These roles are serialized in your
database in {database}.{prefix}options.{prefix}_user_roles.

As the roles are defined, *Editors*are able to edit their own and
others' posts and *Authors* are able to edit their own posts.

The whole list of permissions for Editors and Authors are (I tried to
clean up the array a little):
Editors: "moderate_comments", "manage_categories", "manage_links",
"upload_files", "unfiltered_html", "edit_posts", "edit_others_posts",
"edit_published_posts", "publish_posts", "edit_pages", "read",
"level_7", "level_6", "level_5", "level_4", "level_3", "level_2",
"level_1", "level_0"
Authors: "upload_files", "edit_posts", "publish_posts", "read",
"level_2", "level_1", "level_0"

Miscellanea:

HTML in mailing list threads are generally frowned upon, as are large
signatures. This includes bolding and italicising text. If you want to
show emphasis use *stars*, _underscores_, or even just a bunch of
exclamation points (!!!!). Even the latter is less annoying than
having to sift through HTML. Those of us who aren't using 'pretty'
email clients like Outlook (-shudders-) see so much garble that it is
an effort even to respond. I actually logged into Gmail directly so
that I can answer this thread.

Abhay