[wp-testers] wp-includes/cache ??

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Wed Nov 23 20:04:51 GMT 2005

Luc Saint-Elie wrote:
> And how does it compare with Wp-cache ?
> http://mnm.uib.es/gallir/wp-cache-2/
>
> WP-cache serves in fact static files so the server load is minimal

WP-cache caches output.  The built-in cache caches database data.

WP-cache is somewhat difficult to cofigure to NOT cache parts of pages
that are dynamic but outside of what dynamic parts wordpress provides.
For example, a counter written in PHP to output a text-based hit count
for a page would not work well with WP-cache.

The built-in cache does not cache complex queries.  So some of those
crazy "most recent commenter" plugins will not benefit from it if they
are not written to take advantage of it.

The caches can compliment each other, although I doubt you'd see a
significant performance gain when running both unless you had a lot of
data fetching that was geared toward one or the other caching methods.

Owen