[wp-testers] "Categories"

Stuart amanzimtoti at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 19:01:34 GMT 2005

I think the current implementation of categories is perfect, and there
are lots of good template tags to work with - categories shouldn't be
changed because this will definitely affect all of the existing
Wordpress blogs out there.

Tags should be implemented as an optional, additional method of
tagging posts. Those who have already invested lots of time in their
categories wouldn't have to use them, whereas new users and those that
want the feature could benefit from the advantages of being able to
use categories to structure their site and tags to describe their
posts.

I would like to tags implemented as they are in del.icio.us. You would
effectively have a text box beneath the post editor and then beneath
that a space seperated list of all of your tags. Clicking on a tag
would insert it into the tags field (using javascript) and you would
also be able to add as many tags as you wanted on the fly.

My problem is that I'm not a developer so I'm relying on someone else
hearing my pleas and implementing this. Yesterday I tried out the
Ultimate tag warrior, but it was overly complex and didn't make sense.
I think tagging functionality can be implemented in a more simple and
effective manner if it was in the core.

Cheers - Stuart.