[wp-testers] "Categories"

Sean Hayford O'Leary hayfordoleary at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 05:11:01 GMT 2005

Nickolas,
The argument also gets down to what is "clutter"?

I can appreciate wanting to keep things as clean and clutter-free as
possible, but tags are becoming a widely-used concept and a perfectly
standard method of organisation.

If tags continue to grow -- which it seems they will -- it might appear to
many end users that WordPress is not a whole package without TagWarrior. Not
only are plugins an inconvenience, but, as Stuart earlier mentioned,
software with only native functions is more stable and likely to work well
through upgrades.

-Sean Hayford O'Leary

On 11/22/05, Nickolas Means <nmeans at gmail.com> wrote:

> Stuart-
>
> I don't know that the core issue here is really if tags and
> categories can peacefully coexist - the definitely can.  If that's
> your preferred method of organizing your blog, then more power to you.
>
> The argument here is on whether or not adding tagging to the core
> WordPress code would be a worthwhile and fruitful endeavor.  My
> argument is that this would add unnecessary cruft for the benefit of
> a small contingent of users who wish to both categorize and tag.  The
> best solution, in my opinion, is to allow people who wish to use this
> type of setup to install Ultimate Tag Warrior.  This prevents
> unnecessary clutter in the admin interface and also from needing to
> show two very similar controls on the Write interface without a ready
> explanation (why make the user run to the documentation if they don't
> have to?).
>
> I'm not going to convince you that categorization and tagging
> together is a bad idea any more than you're going to convince me that
> tagging alone is a bad idea - we're different bloggers with very
> different opinions.  That's great - it's what makes WordPress great.
> I do think, though, that the majority of users fall into the
> categories-only or tags-only camps, and that this is the group that
> should be catered to by the default installation.
>
> Nick

Sean Hayford O'Leary

I'm always online. Check out my personal site [http://sdho.hayfordoleary.com],
design site [http://design.hayfordoleary.com] or HOP [