[wp-testers] "Categories"

Nickolas Means nmeans at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 04:53:35 GMT 2005

Stuart-

I don't know that the core issue here is really if tags and
categories can peacefully coexist - the definitely can.  If that's
your preferred method of organizing your blog, then more power to you.

The argument here is on whether or not adding tagging to the core
WordPress code would be a worthwhile and fruitful endeavor.  My
argument is that this would add unnecessary cruft for the benefit of
a small contingent of users who wish to both categorize and tag.  The
best solution, in my opinion, is to allow people who wish to use this
type of setup to install Ultimate Tag Warrior.  This prevents
unnecessary clutter in the admin interface and also from needing to
show two very similar controls on the Write interface without a ready
explanation (why make the user run to the documentation if they don't
have to?).

I'm not going to convince you that categorization and tagging
together is a bad idea any more than you're going to convince me that
tagging alone is a bad idea - we're different bloggers with very
different opinions.  That's great - it's what makes WordPress great.
I do think, though, that the majority of users fall into the
categories-only or tags-only camps, and that this is the group that
should be catered to by the default installation.

Nick