[wp-testers] "Categories"

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Tue Nov 22 23:34:59 GMT 2005

Nickolas Means wrote:
> What would justify adding a separate tagging function into the core code
> of WP, though?  If Ultimate Tag Warrior does this very competently, and
> by all reports it does, then what's the justification for adding it into
> core code other than "Web 2.0ness"?  If you want tags and cats, fine,
> install the plugin.  For novice users, the distinction between
> categories and tags may be difficult to comprehend, and the default
> system works pretty well for an either/or implementation.

Bingo.

It's my personal opinion that once people get over the concept of the
scarcity of categories they'll be used identically to tags, and new
users I've seen have used "categories" just like "tags" and really
couldn't care about the semantic difference in the words.

For people who want to link to Technorati and all that good stuff, there
are plenty of plugins.

The one change that's going to go in is a limit to how many get
displayed at once, for example if you have 20,000 tagories just show the
top 100.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://pingomatic.com | http://akismet.com