[wp-testers] Error with WYSIWYG/Build 3104

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Mon Nov 21 01:55:31 GMT 2005

Andy Skelton wrote:
> Interesting: I can drag images from FF into IE.

Firefox includes 18 members in its drag-and-drop clipboard structure,
including elements that contain the temporary filename for the image,
HTML for the image and the link around it, and Windows shortcut-format
data among others.

The IE clipboard only contains 5 elements on drag-and-drop.  Only the
last element of the struct contains anything useful, and it's only the
link to the parent post, never the link to the image.

In other words, the only things that IE will let you drag and drop are
shortcuts when you drag something that is linked.

An examination of these structures perfectly answers the question of why
you can drag from FF to IE, because although when you initiate a drag
from IE it creates less-than-adequate clipboard contents, IE accepts the
well-filled clipboard container from FF and inserts the appropriate code.

If you want to drag images in IE and have them work, then they can't be
linked to anything.  If they are linked, then the event that starts the
drag uses the link and not the image in the clipboard struct for the event.

Unless this behavior is adjusted in IE, or you can figure out a way to
get the user to drag something in IE that generates a good clipbard
container (or maybe use some kind of DHTML structure instead), the
native drag-and-drop stuff will never allow a linked image drag to work
from IE to anywhere.  There may be a hack, and although this is all the
investigation I've done in the past ten minutes, I really doubt it.

Look here for a tool to mess with that shows these structures:
http://www.codeproject.com/clipboard/clipspy.asp

Owen