[wp-testers] Nightlies

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 04:46:16 GMT 2005

Yes, I also believe that nightlies being unavailable is intentional, because
as some of you may recall, 1.3/1.5 got very popular even before its official
release, and there were tons of support requests for usupported versons
creating a whole mess of troubles on the forums and in IRC. Matt knows that
having nightly builds open to the public again will sink us into the same
problem, so this is probably his method of avoiding that hassle. I'm sure as
things truely need to be tested, the nightlies will resurface and Matt will
post here asking everyone to push their installs to the limit.

On 6/15/05, Mark Jaquith <mark.wordpress at txfx.net> wrote:

> Carla M. Gervin wrote:
>
> I'm unable to access the "nightlies" site. Error 403 (You don't have
> permission to access /download/nightly-builds/ on this server.)
>
> Is anyone else having this issue?
>
> This is definitely intentional. Two explanations:
>
> http://binarybonsai.com/archives/2005/06/14/wordpress-nightlies/
>
> To Michael, if he's reading, it's not about creating a lack of
> transparency, just about making sure that people only get nightly builds if
> they are serious about using alpha software that WILL break their blog from
> time to time or compromise their data. There was a brief time for WP 1.3where Matt's test
> blog's admin section was indexed by Google... so this isn't something to
> be taken lightly. If there is an easy to find link, people will likely think
> "hey, this version is newer, I'll just use that." The SVN repository is
> open to all, but has a bit of a learning curve that protects it from casual
> usage... so it's not about transparency.
>
> Other explanation:
>
> There has been a lot of big code changes recently. The version string is
> set as "1.6-ALPHA-do-not-use" which reflects the fact that your blog will
> be broken a lot during this period of development. A lot of the resulting
> bugs are going to be obvious to the developers and having several dozen
> people on this mailing list report them isn't going to help, and may even
> discourage people who have used the nightlies in the past and not had many
> problems with them.
>
> So anyway, that is my take. Have patience and to not trouble yourselves,
> my children. Or something!

--Robert Deaton
http://somethingunpredictable.com