[wp-testers] release/svn question

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Thu Dec 29 19:25:16 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 09:52 -0500, Robert Deaton wrote:
> Its not development that needs to be slowed, but rather the heavy
> testing period for regressions lengthened. I don't see any reason for
> there being bugfixing commits on the same day as the release, there
> should be a period of code freeze with incremental fixes until the
> large majority are fixed. Of course, all of this is just a pipe-dream,
> as we've begged before, and we'll beg again, and at the rate things
> have been going, 2.5 or whatever the next release is will be just as
> broken as 2.0

Most of the bugs I've seen have been around for weeks and months and
were never discovered during the beta and RC period.  Are there any bugs
that were the result of changes made in the last week or so?

We could have delayed another month and still had the same bugs showing
up in the release.  One of the more serious bugs has been in the tree
since August.

2.0 works perfectly well for me and many others.  Some bugs are blocking
people with certain setups, and we will fix those bugs.

And to help further discussion, when saying 2.0 sucks please specify
what makes it suck for you.  I can't fix "sucks", only specific bugs.
Robert gave me a list of bugs that he thought important.  Such lists are
much more helpful than general disparagement.

Ryan