[wp-testers] release/svn question

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 14:52:14 GMT 2005

On 12/29/05, Santanu Misra <santanu.misra at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wordpress is a great product and the new version looks great. But what
> bothers me is the rush of releasing the version 2.0.
>
> But here is some of my thoughts as I compare wordpress with Gallery in
> terms of releases and problems with new version.
>
> 1. The Alpha phase was for a long time and then suddenly came beta and
> RC. And the so called final stable came much quicker. It looked like
> someone had rushed to deliver the same.

We tried to get it delayed.

> 2. Same rules applied to wordpress.org site where lots of links were
> broken as soon as it got upgraded.

There isn't really an excuse for this. The new code should've been
tested in a testing directory or something, or the server switched
back.

> 3. With so many changes the in the "trunk" now the 2.0.1 or 2.1 or 3.0
> is not very far. May be we can slow down the public stable version
> release process a bit. So majority of new comers and not so techies or
> people with out SVN access can have a glitch free operation for a
> longer time where they do not have to update/upgrade so soon when they
> find something is broken.

Its not development that needs to be slowed, but rather the heavy
testing period for regressions lengthened. I don't see any reason for
there being bugfixing commits on the same day as the release, there
should be a period of code freeze with incremental fixes until the
large majority are fixed. Of course, all of this is just a pipe-dream,
as we've begged before, and we'll beg again, and at the rate things
have been going, 2.5 or whatever the next release is will be just as
broken as 2.0

> -Best Regards
> Santanu
>
> --
> http://www.santm.com
>
> On 12/29/05, Ryan Boren <ryan at boren.nu> wrote:

> > > Actually, my problem isn't with subversion, my problem is that I want to
> > > track a release branch and not the experimental "HEAD." The more I think
> > > about it, the more I think there really isn't a release branch, is
> > > there?
> >
> > Right now trunk is being used for bugfixes to 2.0.  Trunk will become
> > 2.0.1 or 2.1 or whatever we call the 2.0 maintenance release.  Once we
> > release that, we'll probably create a separate maintenance branch and
> > start new feature development on trunk.
> >
> > Ryan

--Robert Deaton
http://somethingunpredictable.com