[wp-testers] Re: Revised Upgrade Instructions (Amit Gupta)

Roy Schestowitz wp-lowtraffic at schestowitz.com
Mon Dec 26 14:24:27 GMT 2005

_____/ On Mon 26 Dec 2005 14:03:28 GMT, [Rob] wrote : \_____

> Can you add a line about using FTP clients to delete the old WP installation?
>
> If your FTP client does not appear to permit you to delete non-empty
> folders, check through the available options and you'll usually find
> an option that will permit non-empty folder deletion. This is useful
> while cleaning out an old installation of WordPress, but it's
> recommended that once this is done, you switch it back to the
> original setting for safety's sake.
>
> I'm not happy with how I worded that, so if anyone can make it
> shorter and clearer, I'd be grateful.
>
> I know a number of people who do not bother to delete the old WP
> installation because they didn't know how to make their FTP client
> delete non-empty folders. I've yet to find an FTP client that doesn't
> permit this, but a lot hide this option because it is so powerful.
> Experienced users will know this, but a lot of the people using WP
> are not exactly "experienced users."
>
> BTW: I know at least one "experienced user" who learned the hard way
> why the normal setting is to prohibit the deletion of folders with
> stuff in them. Returning the setting to "prohibit" really is a good
> idea, unless you backup often.
>
> Rob

http://codex.wordpress.org/User:MichaelH/Revised_Upgrade_Instructions

Stage 7 states:

  #  Delete the old WordPress files on your site, but DO NOT DELETE

      * wp-config.php file;
      * wp-content folder;
      * wp-includes/languages/ folder--if you are using a language file
        do not delete that folder;
      * .htaccess file--if you have added custom rules to your .htaccess,
        do not delete it.

I suggest you enter your suggestion below, stressing how important it is to
empty the old folders. You can log in and change the page as it's a Wiki.

Overall, deletion simplified the process. It prevents the user from fumbling
through settings in one of the many FTP clients that exist. The overwrite
option can lead to an inconsistent mixture of files from two versions. This
raises syntax errors.

Roy

PS - I think the instructions are clear, well-structured, and comprehensive.
There is good use of relevant links.