[wp-testers] flushing cache manually

Amit Gupta wp at igeek.info
Mon Dec 19 12:19:21 GMT 2005

Ryan Boren <ryan at boren.nu> wrote:
|  Write a bug report that describes which values aren't updating
correctly
|  and what events preceded the problem.  Note that if you directly
|  manipulate the DB with phpMyAdmin or the like, the cache will get out
of
|  sync until it expires or until the value in question is updated.

Ryan, that's just what the problem is. I don't think this is a bug, so I
didn't
file a bug report. The thing is that however rare it is, some of us do
sometimes
need to change the URL of an already running blog(as I recently shifted
one
of the blogs that I manage from a sub-domain on my site to its own
domain).
Now the problem is that the URL can be changed in the DB dump via a Text
Editor or via any DB editing tool and the blog will run fine, but with
cacheing
the problem was that the URL gets hard-coded in the cache files. Now I
use
WP-Cache2 and that gives an option to clear all cache files from its
Option page.
But there is nothing of this sort of WP's inbuilt cacheing, so the
problem. Though
it can be contested by saying that the cache can be deleted manually
using an
FTP program since the user moving the blog will definitely have access
to it
but I thought that I should raise this here as well so you guys can put
an option
in the WP-Admin to enable/disable and flush cache.

|  To disable the cache entirely, add the following to wp-config.php.
|
|  define('DISABLE_CACHE', true);
|
|  To flush the cache manually, a plugin that simply calls
wp_cache_flush()
|  will drop the entire cache.

thanks for the tip, I've this saved in "Most Important Tips" now!! :)

Amit Gupta
http://igeek.info/  ||  http://blog.igeek.info/
http://blog.igeek.info/wp-plugins/igsyntax-hiliter