[wp-testers] WP RC2 issues and observations

Roy Schestowitz wp-lowtraffic at schestowitz.com
Sun Dec 18 06:16:51 GMT 2005

_____/ On Sat 17 Dec 2005 18:00:44 GMT, [Matt Disher] wrote : \_____

> I know I'm a little late to the party, but I just had the opportunity
> to upgrade two of my heavier use sites to the latests and greatest.
> I've dabbled with it a bit and just recently thought it was getting
> close enough to take the risk.
>
> I'm a little sorry I did.  I don't want to get off on the wrong foot.
> I love WordPress and love where it's going.  But some of the things
> I've run into are more beta issues than Release candidate issues to
> me.
>
> I'm also probably a little on the fringe because I have to run my
> stuff on Winblows and IIS.  So I'll probably have some issues that
> others won't.
>
> The first thing I had to do was comment out some code (of course my
> PHP,ini is showing errors, but it's code that's not appropriate for me
> anyway.
>
> in wp-settings.php
>
> "// Fix for PHP as CGI hosts that set SCRIPT_FILENAME to something
> ending in php.cgi for all requests
> //if ( strpos($_SERVER['SCRIPT_FILENAME'], 'php.cgi') ==
> strlen($_SERVER['SCRIPT_FILENAME']) - 7 )
> //	$_SERVER['SCRIPT_FILENAME'] = $_SERVER['PATH_TRANSLATED'];
> "
>
> The WYSIWYG editor.   originally I thought I'd love this thing for
> quick and dirty posts.   But unless you're just typing in some text
> it's just too hard to use.  The results are simply not predictable.
> You can try and tweak the html and it will simply unwind it for you.
>
> I am unable to so something as simple as:
>
> Some text
> some more text
>
> without a lot of issues.

That  is  the very nature of WYSIWYG editors. Complaints as such could  be
generalised  to the paradigm as a whole, not be addressed to WordPress (or
TinyMCE).  I agree with you and that's why I prefer quicktags, which  have
remained  an explicit option by all means. The rich text editor is an  ex-
cellent  feature  which  serves anyone to whom "div" is  utter  gibberish.
Whether WYSIWYG should be the default editing mode is another matter.

> Saving and continuing to edit works.  Saving and/or posing fails to
> redirect back.  you just timeout or get a blank page.  Same results in
> Firefox and Opera.
>
> If you try to delete a post (edit) find fancy red delete button,
> you'll actually crash opera.  this is no good.

I could replicate this error.

./opera: line 1: 7478 Segmentation fault './bin/opera'

Seems like an Opera bug to me. Browser critical errors such as this can be
a PITA.

http://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2005/08/26/when-printing-kills/

> Even turning 'off' this miracle editor, doesn't really  help me much.
> I've had to revert to hand coding html in another app or text editor
> and pasting it in.  It just keeps hosing stuff up.

The  quicktags  system is sensitive to markup errors. This  can  sometimes
lead  to  undesired quirks. Using an external editor is something  I  once
considered,  but  instead, I copy the entire text (CTRL+A,  CTRL+C)  every
once in a while to put it in the clipboard stack.

What if WordPress somehow incorporated an undo function? What if each post
left  a short trail of versions that expanded whenever a post got saved or
published?  It's  not elegant, it's confusing, but it can  avoid  frustra-
tions.

> Now before you flame me, these are just bugs and non technical ones at that.
>
> Like I said I want Wordpress to rule.  I don't want to sound overly
> negative but I probably do.  I'm not running many plugins and have
> tried disabling most of them.
>
> -datapoohbah.

All  software has flaws, but the neighbour's lawn often seems greener. Bug
reports will improve the software and eradicate behaviours that deter you.
I guess that statements "But some of the things I've run into are more be-
ta  issues than Release candidate issues to me" will prove a tad insulting
to  some  folks. Quite often, on the contrary, an emotionless,  enumerated
bug report does a better job. It is less demoralising as well.

Best wishes,

Roy